Approximately 1/3 of the average person’s life is spent in bed. As a result the mattress continues to contain sweat, shed dead skin cells and hair, dust, and other contaminants, allergens and foreign bodies as you sleep. It is an atrocity that people often neglect the need to clean the mattress though it is one of the essentials and it needs more TLC apart from washing the bedding once every two weeks. Manufacturers recommend you clean the mattress every 2-3 months and by a professional 1-2 times a year. To improve health and sleeping habits as well as increase the lifespan of the mattress while keeping it in optimal condition simply with proper maintenance.
How to Clean Mattress Stains & Remove Odors
In an effort to help keep your mattress clean and remove any stains and odors in between professional cleanings, we at CA Carpet Cleaning and Water Damage Clean Up have left some steps.
1) Prep the mattress. Toss sheets, pillow cases, blankets, and comforters (in separate loads) according the label’s directions. With the vacuum’s hose and attachments, methodically vacuum the mattress’s sides, back, and top; seams and divots tend to collect a lot more of the debris so ensure they are carefully vacuumed.
2) Prevent and neutralize mattress odors. The mattress develops odors over time from the sweat alone and other elements only intensify the smells. Use a colander to generously sprinkle baking soda on the mattress surface to neutralize the existing odors and prevent others from occurring and let it sit for about 30 minutes. If you like, you can mix 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oils into the baking soda to enhance the fragrance. Ensure all of the particles have been removed by vacuuming the mattress. Baking soda will not remove the stains, but will quash odors.
3) Remove mattress stains and spots. Create a paste by adding drops of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda together with a few pinches of salt; it should be fairly thick. Gently agitate the paste where there are any stains and let the mixture sit for 30 minutes and vacuum up the remnants. Follow up with a damp cloth to remove the final residue. Combine 1 part mild liquid dishwashing soap and 2 parts hydrogen peroxide for the stubborn stains. Use a toothbrush to apply and agitate the stain, let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe the area clean with a damp cloth. Mystery stains can be removed with citrus based cleaners; or mixtures such as 1 cup white vinegar, ½ cup baking soda, 1 tbsp mild liquid dish soap. Follow up blotting residues of soda or colored drinks with cotton balls treated with alcohol, and blot.
4) Completely dry mattress. Before you remake the bed with freshly laundered bedding, ensure the mattress is fully dry. Set out portable fans, flip on the ceiling fan, and if the weather permits, open the window to expedite the process.
5) Rotate mattress. To help even out the wear, every time you clean the mattress, be sure to flip it over and rotate it counter-clockwise.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Long Beach, Santa Monica, Torrance, Santa Ana & Newport Beach, California
When it is time for a professional mattress cleaning, call in the experts of CA Carpet Cleaning and Water Damage Clean Up and let our professionals get your mattress clean and fresh, quickly and efficiently.